Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Letting it go

Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

I had a friendly chat with two men who work at one of the local thrift stores in my town the other day when I was looking for old wooden bookshelves for Gabe’s room. (Digging through the huge Rubbermaid container to get to his books was getting pretty old.) This particular thrift store is cool because it is a ministry for men who have recently gotten out of rehab, being homeless, etc. and gives them an opportunity to work. These men had a zeal for the Lord that was contagious! What the Father had brought them out of and saved them from was so evident to these men that they talked about Him to whomever would listen.

As our conversation was winding up, I mentioned a struggle that I deal with off and on--the black cloud called “guilt.” It was humorous, actually, this self-proclaimed goody-goody talking about guilt with men that have done who knows what. I repeated something that a good friend of mine once told me. “Katie, you know, it’s like spitting in God’s face when you keep asking forgiveness for something He’s already forgiven you for. It’s as if you don’t believe His gift, His only Son dying on the cross for your sins, forgives you for what you’ve done.” Smack! She might as well have hit me across the face. Spit in the face of God!!! I don’t want to do that!!

As I spoke, the expression on this man’s face changed right before my eyes. His eyes teared up. “I’ve been asking God to forgive me for something I did every morning for the last 20 years.” He then thanked me profusely for saying what I did.

I hope that this man, and me, for that matter, will be able to wrap our heads around the fact that Jesus said “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” (Matthew 26:28).

So, my friend, “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.” (Psalm 32:1-2)

1 comment: